Are you doing major renovations in your bathroom? It’s time to plan the various steps. If so, you’re probably wondering, “what comes first, the toilet or the flooring?”.
Yes, flooring should go in your bathroom before the toilet, allowing you to get the best possible appearance and functionality out of your toilet and flooring.
If you’re ready to install your toilet and flooring, keep reading. I’ll walk you through the process step-by-step, and I will outline what you should know by going through this process.
Table of Contents
Why Does Flooring Get Installed Before A Toilet
To some, it might not matter which is installed first. However, there are some fundamental reasons that professional builders and contractors know you should install flooring before a toilet. Here are some reasons to focus on installing flooring before installing your toilet.
- Easier to Install the Toilet: When you install a toilet on top of a floor, it’s much more challenging to get everything lined up and secured correctly. Of course, this can lead to a wobbly commode or worse! Installing the flooring first makes it easier to ensure that your toilet is secure and not going anywhere.
- Better Appearance: First, you can ensure that everything is level and properly aligned when installing the flooring. It helps to create a much more excellent appearance once your toilet is installed on top of the floor.
- Easier to Clean: Last but not least, installing the flooring before your toilet makes it much easier to clean up any messes that happen.
Installing your bathroom floor before installing a toilet is the best way to take on this project. Not only will you get better results and appearance, but it also makes the process easier and less complicated.
How to Pick Flooring For Your Bathroom
Are you stuck by the process that requires you to pick a type of flooring? Here are the steps to assessing your needs and ultimately picking out flooring for your bathroom.
- Assess Your Needs: The first step is determining what flooring would work best for your particular bathroom and situation. Consider things like moisture levels, how often you will use the bathroom, and whether you need something slip-resistant.
- Choose a Material: Once you know what flooring will work best for your bathroom, it’s time to pick a material. The most popular materials include tile, vinyl, laminate, and hardwood.
- Consider Installation: Consider the installation process when picking your flooring. Some types of flooring have more straightforward installation procedures, so keep that in mind when making your choice.
- Make Your Selection: Make your selection and purchase the flooring you want for your bathroom. Be sure to buy enough material to complete the job correctly and deliver it to your home or project site as soon as possible.
Best Types of Flooring For a Bathroom
There are many flooring types to choose from, so which one is best for a bathroom? Here are some of the most popular options that you should consider.
A tile is an excellent option for bathrooms because it’s resistant to moisture and can last a long time if properly maintained. It’s available in many colors and styles, making it easy to customize to your particular bathroom’s needs.
Vinyl is an excellent choice for bathrooms because it’s relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and provides plenty of cushions when walking around in your bathroom. It also comes in a wide variety of styles, making it easy to customize the look of your bathroom.
Laminate is another popular choice for bathrooms because it’s resistant to moisture and easy to clean. It’s also available in many colors and styles for easier bathroom customization.
Hardwood is an elegant but practical choice if you’re looking for something with an upscale look. It can be more expensive than other types of flooring, but it can also last many years with proper care.
Flooring Installation Tips
When you’re installing your flooring to prepare for your toilet installation, there are a few things that you can keep in mind to ensure the process goes smoothly.
- Tip #1: Read the Instructions – Foremost, read all the instructions on your flooring before you start. Make sure you understand each step of the installation process and don’t rush through any part.
- Tip #2: Choose the Right Tools – Use the right tools for the job. For example, if installing a tile floor, ensure that you have a wet saw and thin-set mortar.
- Tip #3: Measure Twice, Cut Once – Finally, always measure twice before making any cuts, as this ensures that your floor is level and even, which will help it last for many years.
By installing flooring in your bathroom, be sure to take plenty of time to plan the process out thoroughly.
By following these steps and knowing what type of flooring works best for a bathroom, you can find the perfect material that suits your needs and create a beautiful space. With the right flooring, you can make your bathroom look and feel more inviting while ensuring it is safe and secure.
So, there you have it. For various reasons, you must put your flooring in before the toilet. For the best appearance of your flooring and toilet, make sure you take this critical step to order your installations correctly.
With our helpful tips and tricks, your installation will go smoothly!
- About the Author
- Latest Articles
John Thompson, Writer and Commentator, EvolutDesign.com
Soldier, writer, researcher, consultant, and bon vivant, John Thompson is the author of numerous columns, op-eds, reports, briefs, short stories and books as the “Felicity Files” and “Spirit Over Steel: A Chronology of the Second World War” (version III). Often found hunched over his computer, or in his garden, and now often found doing both. His diverse talent has led him to work in industries and projects such as energy, security and home construction and renovation.